Thursday, August 1, 2013

"Know your history, ask questions and follow your heart"

2014 will mark the 15th anniversary of the Bridge Film Festival.  In recognition of this milestone, the BFF is collecting interviews of our filmmaker alumni.  


Garrett Bradley, Brooklyn Friends School '03, Brooklyn, NY. 

 

Garrett Bradley - On Location


In 2001, Garrett entered the BFF and won a Judges' Choice Award for her documentary film, "Be-Bop Fidelity."  The film is a very personal and poignant account of self-discovery and identity.

Garrett's current project, "Below Dreams," was recently selected as a 2013 IFP Narrative Lab Project 
  

______________________________



BFF - How did you learn about the Bridge Film Festival, and what was it like to enter your film?

GB - The Bridge Film Festival was introduced to me by Andy Cohen, a teacher of mine during my sophomore year at BFS.

BFF - After graduating from Brooklyn Friends School, what college/university did you attend, and what did you study?

GB - I graduated from Smith College with a BA in Religion and went on to receive my MFA in directing for film from UCLA.

BFF -  How did the experience of making a film for the BFF that required you to "depict Quaker values in action" influence your future storytelling?

GB - At the time, I wasn't aware of any value system, nor did I have a specific goal for the film. I was fortunate enough to have my father give me a High 8 camcorder for Christmas and immediately took the opportunity to play around a bit. A good portion of my time was spent using the editing facilities at BFS. It was not until Andy Cohen suggested I submit the film to the BFF that I had any concept of a venue or life for the project out of my own initial interest in film.

Be-Bop Fidelity 2001

BFF -  Which of your film projects are you most pleased with?

GB - Every project I've worked on has served a purpose in its own way and I'm thankful to be in a position where I can continue to do what I love and to grow from it.

BFF - What personal or professional projects are you currently working on?

GB - My first feature length film, Below Dreams, was recently selected as one of ten films for 2013 IFP Narrative Film Lab. For more information about the film, you can visit the website at www.belowdreams.com

BFF - What are your plans for the future?

GB - To keep working!

BFF - What advice do you have for filmmakers currently attending Friends schools?

GB - "Know your history, ask questions and follow your heart"